St. Lawrence Episcopal Church has always been located in the heart of Libertyville – the only church on Church Street. Episcopalians first gathered in Libertyville in November 1908. In early 1910 St. Lawrence became a “mission” church and began meeting regularly in the former Union Church located on Church Street. St. Lawrence initially shared the church space with other denominations, but in 1912 the building was purchased by the St. Lawrence congregation. A fire destroyed the church in 1917, and the original part of our existing building was built in 1918. In 1945 St. Lawrence officially became a parish, and through the years as our congregation grew, so did our building. In 1963 an education wing was added, and a 2004 expansion included adding a new sanctuary, parish hall, classrooms, and administrative office space.
Today our church is home to not only St. Lawrence parishioners as a meeting and gathering space, but we share our space with many outside organizations. In addition to our weekly services the doors are open throughout the week to Village Green Montessori preschool, various community groups, several self-help groups, and the Hope Food Pantry. Our sanctuary space is often used for theater and musical performances due to its great acoustics. St. Lawrence hosts Cookies and Cocoa during Libertyville’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, participates in the annual pet blessing during Dog Days of Summer, sponsors Coffee in the Park during the Libertyville Farmer’s Market, and hosts various other activities throughout the year.